- The deadline for taking an ASBA online course for credit this year is December 19, 2018. Any exams taken after that date may not be scored by December 31.
- Courses may be completed for credit only once.
- If you are uncertain whether you have taken a specific course, please contact Dr. Anne Butcher at email@example.com.
- Members may also verify credit hours earned by logging-in to their personal embrAMS (formerly eMembership) account. If you need assistance accessing login information, please contact Tina Cates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Option I
- Superintendent Evaluation Training (3 hours)
- Module A: Using Data to Improve School Board Decision Making (1 hour)
- Module B: Definitions, Concepts, and Processes For Understanding and Using Data (1hour)
- Module C: How Should Data Be Collected, Interpreted, and Used By Boards to Improve District Performance? (1 hour)
- Module A: Legal Issues as Pertains to School Boards – Ethics (3 hours)
- Inspired Teamwork and Leadership (2 hours)
- ASBA Block I: Arkansas Laws and Rules Governing School Board Meetings (1 hour) - There are a plethora of laws and rules school board members are required to follow. In this course Jeremy Lasiter, Director of Human Resources and Legal Affairs for Bryant Schools, explains the basic requirements for school board members under Ark. Code Ann. § 6-13-620 and the Freedom of Information Act. This course is the first block of instruction in a series of three courses focusing on the basic requirements and procedures governing Arkansas school boards.
- ASBA Block II: Parliamentary Procedures (1 hour) - The rules governing school board meetings can be complex and come with many exceptions. The best way for school board members to run productive and effective meetings is to be aware of these rules. In this course Jeremy Lasiter, Director of HR and Legal Affairs for Bryant School District, delves into Robert's Rules of Order and how they are applied to school districts of different sizes. Mr. Lasiter explains why Robert's Rules were created and how they can be helpful in today's school board meetings. This course is the second block of instruction in a series of three courses focusing on the requirements and procedures governing Arkansas school boards.
- ASBA Block III: Mock School Board Meeting Agenda (1 hour) - The legal requirements surrounding many common agenda items can be quite complicated, but important to know. In this course Jeremy Lasiter, Director of HR and Legal Affairs for Bryant School District, discusses several agenda items from expulsions to school choice resolutions. He explains what school board members need to know about these laws and policies in order to protect the rights of teachers, families, and themselves. This course is the third block of instruction in a series of three courses focusing on the requirements and procedures governing Arkansas school boards.
To access these courses you will need to have an AETN account (Username and Password).
To begin, click on "CREATE NEW ACCOUNT" below and complete the registration process.
If you already have an account, click on “LOG IN HERE” below to choose and begin a course.
School board members, who wish to receive ASBA credit for the courses in this portal, should first complete a course in its entirety. This includes your review and study of the lesson materials, completion of the activities, assessments (80% mastery is the minimum required), and the associated course survey. At the end of the course, within the survey section, you will be asked if you wish to receive ASBA credit for completing it. If you mark “YES,” and filled in where indicated, your name, school district where you are a board member, email address, and telephone number your district will be invoiced for the course fee(s) and your credit will be documented in your embrAMS account.
Course Option II
ASBA has five online courses to help school board members learn more about their roles and responsibilities. Each course is based on material included in the Handbook for Arkansas School Board Members.
The five courses are available are listed below. Each may be completed by reading the materials and successfully completing the exam associated with the course. A PDF reader (such as Adobe Reader; free download here) is required to view course material. Please allow plenty of time to take the exam as answers may not be saved until a later time.
- The Key Work of School Boards (course material link) (2 hours)
- Public Schools in Arkansas (course material link) (1 hour)
- School Board Meetings (course material link) (1 hour)
- Developing and Adopting School Board Policy (course material link) (1 hour)
- Developing Effective Working Relationships (course material link) (1 hour)
The exam links for each course are: