- The deadline for taking an ASBA online course for credit this year is December 20, 2019. Any exams taken after that date may not be scored by December 31.
- Courses may be completed for credit only once.
- If you are uncertain whether you have taken a specific course, please contact Dr. Anne Butcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members may also verify credit hours earned by logging-in to their personal embrAMS (formerly eMembership) account. If you need assistance accessing login information, please contact Anne Butcher at email@example.com.
COURSE FEES: The cost for each one-hour of credit is $40. Board members should advise the superintendent about the course and fee prior to completing the online course for credit so that the superintendent will anticipate receiving an invoice.
Course Option I
- Superintendent Evaluation Training (3 hours)
- Module A: Using Data to Improve School Board Decision Making (1 hour)
- Module B: Definitions, Concepts, and Processes For Understanding and Using Data (1hour)
- Module C: How Should Data Be Collected, Interpreted, and Used By Boards to Improve District Performance? (1 hour)
- Module A: Legal Issues as Pertains to School Boards – Ethics (3 hours)
- Inspired Teamwork and Leadership (2 hours)
- ASBA Block I: Arkansas Laws and Rules Governing School Board Meetings (1 hour)
- ASBA Block II: Parliamentary Procedures (1 hour)
- ASBA Block III: Mock School Board Meeting Agenda (1 hour)
To access these courses you will need to have an AETN account (Username and Password).
To begin, click on "CREATE NEW ACCOUNT" below and complete the registration process.
If you already have an account, click on “LOG IN HERE” below to choose and begin a course.
School board members, who wish to receive ASBA credit for the courses in this portal, should first complete a course in its entirety. This includes your review and study of the lesson materials, completion of the activities, assessments (80% mastery is the minimum required), and the associated course survey. At the end of the course, within the survey section, you will be asked if you wish to receive ASBA credit for completing it. If you mark “YES,” and filled in where indicated, your name, school district where you are a board member, email address, and telephone number your district will be invoiced for the course fee(s) and your credit will be documented in your embrAMS account.
Course Option II
ASBA has five online courses to help school board members learn more about their roles and responsibilities. Each course is based on material included in the Handbook for Arkansas School Board Members.
The five courses are available are listed below. Each may be completed by reading the materials and successfully completing the exam associated with the course. A PDF reader (such as Adobe Reader; free download here) is required to view course material. Please allow plenty of time to take the exam as answers may not be saved until a later time.
- The Key Work of School Boards (course material link) (2 hours)
- Public Schools in Arkansas (course material link) (1 hour)
- School Board Meetings (course material link) (1 hour)
- Developing and Adopting School Board Policy (course material link) (1 hour)
- Developing Effective Working Relationships (course material link) (1 hour)
The exam links for each course are: