Message from the National School Boards Association (NSBA): The federal government will impose an across-the-board cut of 8.2 percent to education and other domestic programs in January unless Congress intervenes. Help us - help you - to avoid these cuts: Please pass a board resolution that urges Congress to stop sequestration and send it to NSBA as soon as possible. NSBA will present the first round of resolutions to Congress in November to demonstrate the need to stop sequestration, so it is crucial that you act now. Thank you to the districts that have passed resolutions. We need to receive resolutions from many, many more school districts. Take the Action Steps Below:
- Urge your school board to pass a resolution urging Congress to stop sequestration.
- Forward a copy of the resolution to: email@example.com, and we will add your district to our list of boards that have passed resolutions and present the first round to Congress during the post election session in November.
- Send a copy to Congress (select Take Action under Please Stop Sequestration and cut and paste it to your email - or- fax it to the Congressional office).
- Notify your media outlets by sending a copy of the resolution with a press release – here’s a sample press release – you can customize.
- Consider recruiting other community organizations and business groups to join in the campaign, because when the school system suffers, it impacts the workforce and local economy..
- Send a letter to the editor to your local newspaper based on the impact these cuts will have on your district.