Registration is open for the Arkansas School Boards Association 2014 Annual Conference. This year's theme is "Student Focused Leadership: See Me, Accept Me, Teach Me." The conference will be held December 10-12 at the Marriott Hotel and Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock. Click here for conference schedule.Manny Scott, one of the original Freedom Writers, is this year’s featured keynote speaker for the general session Thursday, Dec. 11, 8:30-10 a.m. in the Marriott Ballroom. In keeping with our conference theme, “See Me, Accept Me, Teach Me,” Mr. Scott will share his inspirational story of how he went from being “unreachable” and “unteachable” to becoming a happily married man, a doting father, a Ph.D. student, an entrepreneur and a successful speaker.
Early Bird WorkshopsThis year board members may choose from two pre-conference workshops. Both will be offered on Wednesday, Dec. 10, from 9 a.m. until noon. Each workshop registration fee is $90 before Nov. 26, 2014. After that date, the fee is $110.
Early Bird Session 1: School Finance Fundamentals for Board Members Presenter: Jeff Stubblefield, Superintendent, Charleston School DistrictParticipants attending this financial workshop will:
- Review the historical overview of finance for Arkansas Public Schools
- Recognize the General Assembly's role in determining funding for an adequate education for public school students
- Review the board’s role instewardship and fiscal oversight, and compare the board’s role to the role of the superintendent’s in managing district financial matters
- Become familiar with the major concepts within public school finance
- Determine which financial information boards should review regularly
- Review district data printouts to give board members an overview of their district’s financial position
- Understand key indicators of a financially stressed district