ASBA’s Annual Conference – This two-and-a-half-day conference, held every December, is the largest annual gathering of school board members in the state. General sessions feature noted speakers, while breakouts allow board members to choose from a variety of topics based on their needs and interests. The policy-making ASBA Delegate Assembly also convenes to conduct its annual business, and an exhibit hall features products and services of interest to the education community.
New Board Member Institute – This post-election workshop orients new school board members to their roles and responsibilities. The New Board Member Institute is held each October following school board elections and runoffs. Concurrent sessions are held for new and veteran board members. School board members earn six hours for attending the New Board Member Institute.
Regional Meetings – Every fall ASBA schedules dinner meetings in each of its 14 regions. These meetings enable board members and superintendents to network with their regional colleagues and to hear timely topical information about district governance and upcoming events.
NSBA Annual Conference and Southern Region Leadership Conference – These annual events feature outstanding national speakers and networking opportunities with school board members from other states. NSBA’s Annual Conference is held in the spring, while the Southern Region Leadership Conference, is held during the summer in one of the tri-states: Arkansas, Louisiana, or Mississippi. Board members earn training hours for the sessions that they attend and document to ASBA.
Joint Leadership Conference – Each spring ASBA and the Arkansas Association of Educational Administrators (AAEA) host the daylong Joint Leadership Conference. Topics usually focus on regulations pertaining to education. After a legislative session, conference emphasis is on new or revised Arkansas laws.
Summer Leadership Institute – Leadership and governance themes as well as national and state issues are explored through expert presentations during the day, with time for networking with other board members and education professionals at night during this two-day conference.
Regional Winter Institutes –Participants kick off the new year with new learning opportunities when ASBA teams with education service cooperatives in the four corners of our state to offer four regional winter institutes. Programming is designed to help school board members increase their effectiveness and ability to support and promote district achievements and goals.
Seminars – ASBA offers a variety of seminars and custom training including:
- Board Academy – The extended weekend Board Academy strengthens school district leadership through team building and the principles of the Key Work of School Boards. The Academy is a residential retreat for a school district’s superintendent and board members. Multiple boards work in a group setting and learn to focus their efforts toward improving student achievement. School districts may request the scheduling of a Board Academy.
- Sexual Misconduct: Investigation and Response – School administrators learn how to address sexual harassment and other forms of sexual misconduct in schools. Board members gain understanding of the response and investigation process and learn how districts can limit their exposure to liability.
- Administrative Directives – (formerly “From Documentation to Termination”) Superintendents and school administrators learn appropriate ways to document and respond to unacceptable employee conduct. Board members learn about statutory due process and their appropriate role and responsibility regarding employee performance. The course is regularly updated based on revisions to the Teacher Fair Dismissal Act and new case studies.
- Board Meetings from A to Z – This seminar is a practical overview of preparing for and conducting school board meetings. Board members and superintendents review the Freedom of Information Act, parliamentary procedure, meeting management, board agendas and other practical board meeting issues.
- Ethics for School Leaders – School board members are subject to state ethics rules, including laws regarding nepotism and business conflict of interest. This seminar addresses current Arkansas ethics laws that school board members must understand.
- School Law Seminar – Our expert attorneys and others who practice school law in Arkansas present informative day-long programs for board members, superintendents and school attorneys.
Custom Training – ASBA can schedule specialized training on requested topics at various locations. For more information contact Dr. Anne Butcher, Board Development Director, at 501.372.1415.